Tuesday, November 18, 2008

WFMW: Oatmeal Trick

My kids and I love oatmeal, but I used to not fix it often because the little ones would be impatient for it to cool down so they could eat it. I discovered a couple of great tricks to not only cool it down instantly, but also to make it even tastier!

Method #1
Add a spoonful of vanilla ice cream. YUMMY! After you taste this, you will never want oatmeal any other way! To save calories, Edy's or Dreyer's Fat Free Sugar Free Vanilla is wonderful.

Method #2 (Thanks to my dear friend Beth for this idea!)
Add a few small frozen berries (blueberries and raspberries work well). They thaw quickly and add vitamins and minerals and lots of other good stuff!

If you missed it, I posted the worst-ever Mess of the Day on Monday.
Click here to see it!

Here are my previous WFMW posts:

Backseat Entertainment
Gifts to Spark Your Child's Imagination
Reading Motivation
Finding a Babysitter
Charging a Cell Phone
Swim/Shower with a Cast
Free Tech Support
Calming Injured Children
Choosing a Phone Number
What NOT to Soak Contacts In
Broken Glass Cleanup
Cheap Rolling Cart for Conventions
Chocolate Recipes
Tooth-Tugging Tip for Terrified Tots
Handy Earache Relief
Uses for Leftover Bread
Leaky Diaper/Pull-up Fix
Snack Mix Recipe (at the end of the post)
Awesome Stain Recipe
(at the end of the post)
"Fun"damentals of Family Life
Removing Wite-Out from Everything
When NOT to Save Money
Public Service Announcement

For more WFMW tips, stop by Shannon's blog!

8 comments:

Audra Krell said...

Nice! I love the frozen berries...great idea!

Anonymous said...

Those are great ideas, especially the ice cream one. My kids would think that was such a special treat. I usually cool their oatmeal down by just adding a splash of milk to it and letting them stir it up. This would be so much more fun though.

Heidi Boos said...

I came here first and then got distracted by your white out post from Monday. ;)

I love these ideas. I'll have to give them a try...maybe it will make my daughter actually eat her oatmeal (especially the icecream trick).

Holly said...

Oh my, ice cream for breakfast! You're a nice mommy! I bet that would be tasty.

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

Oh, yummy! I wouldn't have ever thought of putting ice cream in it. They do put ice in it though.

RainyPM said...

I usually use milk, but now I want to try the ice cream trick too, yum!

Jennifer said...

the frozen fruit is a grreat idea, thanks!

Audrey said...

I just add some hot water to the dry oatmeal, then a dash of milk. It helps to cool it down, and sneaks a little bit more calcium into my boy's diet.