Friday, April 4, 2008

Sewing Success (I Hope!)

Hooray! [happy dancing] I know what to do-oo, I know what to do-oo!

In case you're wondering what I'm blathering about, I got a 2nd call from Simplicity explaining how to sew the bodice on Drama Queen's civil war dance dress. I had missed their first call when I was dealing with yesterday's lice crisis, and the message they left on my answering machine was NOT helpful. I called and left another message today.

When 4:00 rolled around -
the helpline is only open from 9 until 4 on weekdays - I was despondent at the thought of getting no sewing done this weekend. At 4:20, I got a call. On the verge of tears, I babbled on and on about how I had been so sure that I was going to have to wait until Monday.

She replied, "Well, you sounded desperate."

I suppose that's because I am.

On to the pattern problem. I fully expected her to gush, "I'm so sorry, there is a huge mistake in the pattern. Please accept our deepest apologies and this gift certificate to our online store."


Instead, she patiently explained that it was a princess seam with reverse curves and then proceeded to give me CLEAR, step-by-step instructions on how to pin it, clip it, and then sew it.

Not wanting to look too ignorant (just a little bit is okay), I thanked her and then demanded, "Why didn't Simplicity put these steps in the directions to begin with?"

She replied, "Well, with a complicated pattern such as this one, they're assuming that anyone who would choose it would be an experienced sewer and would know how to do a princess seam."

Gulp. I've done, maybe, 5 projects in my life.

I have 6 days to finish this.

I might not be talking to y'all for awhile. Feel free to bring my soon-to-be-neglected family some food this week.

3 comments:

Carla said...

You have to post pictures of the dress once you complete it. You certainly deserve a momma of the week award for the crazy week that you have had with the lice and the pattern issues. Hope next week is a better week for you!

Anonymous said...

You'll have to post pictures!

Anonymous said...

I have had the same problem with their patterns before and called it and got no help. I hope it works out! I want to see it finished!