Saturday, August 16, 2008

Going Postal Over Peaches

For the first time recently, I ventured over to the local, heavily-hyped farmer's market in search of peaches. I was so looking forward to them because there were none when we moved here last year due to a late frost.

Now, when you think of "farmer's market," what do you think of?

Produce!!!! Yes, those things called fruits and vegetables. Just the things you would expect to find at a FARMER'S market.

As I listened to some earthy music, I found handmade jewelry.

I found homemade soaps.

I found herbs and breads.

I even found some espresso and overpriced smoothies.

Funny, I didn't find any produce.

No cantaloupes.

No red potatoes.

No green beans.

No squash.

No watermelons.

And, HELLO, here we are in the great state of Georgia, and NO PEACHES?????!!!!!!!

Okay. In all fairness, there were a couple of people peddling some yummy-looking tomatoes, but that was it.

I finally found peaches a half hour away, and they were pretty tasty. We're near the end of the season, so I look forward to trying more varieties next summer.

I just packaged some peaches to mail to some very special people, and I went to great lengths to write in HUGE letters on EVERY surface of the box:

FRAGILE!!!!!

And what, pray tell, does the postal worker do with it?

She throws it. In. The. Bin.

I'm surprised that it's always the postal workers who go cuckoo and not the customers.

SORRY! I AM NOT YELLING AT YOU! BLOGGER WILL NOT LET ME CHANGE THE FONT BACK TO NORMAL SIZE. THIS IS WHAT I LOVE ABOUT BLOGGER! YESSIRREE, JUST IGNORE MY FONT PREFERENCES!

3 comments:

Woolymama said...

Hi!

I just wanted to check, what time did you go to the Farmer's Market? Because I went this past weekend at about 10 am. and they had beans, potatoes (lots of potatoes!), figs, tomatoes, peppers, herbs, soap, bread, jewelry, watermelon, and a bunch of other stuff. Maybe you went too late in the day and it was sold out? Or maybe before the veggies started coming in. They don't offer any peaches I think because everything there has to be grown with organic practices and peaches are very very difficult to grow that way. I do love the peach stand that I'm guessing you went to - did you get any of that sublime peach ice cream?!

Hope you have better luck at the FM next time!

The (Almost) Amazing Mammarino said...

Actually, I went about 3 weeks ago, and I went first thing in the morning. There was very, very little in the way of produce. If I had wanted jewelry, soap or bread, I would've been in heaven!

Sondra McCoy said...

You are too funny! Thanks for the real life laughs! Keep them coming.